Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Just Loving this Vortex of Weirdness

Spokane, Washington, is a vortex of weirdness.

I know. I live in Spokane.

It's a glorious city. I'm not being ironic when I say this. Part of what makes it a glorious city is the perception that it is one of the point blank strangest, oddest, most surreal places in the US. I say surreal and I mean it in the way the original French surrealist poets and painters meant it. Read a few Surrealist manifestos, you'll understand. Here in Spokane the weirdness tends to Dada like levels. Read a few Dada manifestos, you'll understand.

Here is a perfectly good lite example of Spokane weirdness.

On April 30, 2018 this billboard appeared downtown, and immediately afterwards it began to make the rounds on the internet as a meme:

[None of these memes are original to me. All were found on the Spokane Memes FB page.]

Apparently no one on the design team, the team responsible for putting up the billboard, the City Council, or any other group encountering the bears for that matter, thought that placing the two bears next to each other might seem... I don't know... odd.

There was plenty of space to separate the bears, maybe even have the standing bear waving to us. I can almost guarantee the design team discussed that, "Don't have the  bears waving, they don't do that in the wild, Merle. And put the bears closer together, we need 'THE GREAT PNW' to take up more than half the billboard's real estate."

What the leaders and designers missed, Spokaloo Sally saw immediately. The result?


Wow, that was fast.

Then the internet responded.


There were a lot more than this one. There has been an online petition to bring the bears back.

I just heard that the bears will be made into a tee shirt. This is Spokane.




Your Old Pal,
Devilhead

1 comment: